Wednesday 15 September 2021

Solar panel updates

The panel seems to holding the battery at 12.1-2 as read by volt meter via the EOPD plug.
There's so much in the way of hidden electrics these days that I wonder if that is sustainable during winter months. 
The van hasn't been used properly for a while due to illness, so at least it's holding at 12+ volts.
But wondered if it was directly connected to the panel I'd get any increase of volts at the battery.
Yesterday I hardwired the Clamp accessory to the main battery ( removed crocodile clips replaced with boltable connectors to see if that improves reading.
I've moved the panel over to the drivers side so I could temporarily run cable at this point. Which has to go thru door into bonnet to use. 
And remind me to disconnect when I'm back at work in a week or so!

19/09/21
Checked voltage staying at 12 volts, weather dull today and direct sun is only to around midday.

27/09/21
No difference in voltage whether using cigarette socket/Din / direct to battery! Interesting! 
States that you need to maintain the battery at 12.5 v I'm lucky to get 12.2!
Although technically it's the wrong battery (it isn't a stop start one, even tho sold to me as suitable !!!) 

08/10/21
Vans not being used for a couple of weeks. I've tried all the input sockets and all read about the same as the EOPD socket, as that's the recommended one I'll use it! 
I've disconnected the liesure battery so that the panel will only charge the main battery, and turned the van to get the most daylight. 
I've read that you shouldn't use solar chargers if the battery is stop start as most panels don't have charge protection! This one does and only puts out 4.8 volts. As said before the battery isn't specifically for stop start either? (Will replace in the spring as it will need pairing with the vehicle!) 
So the experiment begins tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment