Wednesday 3 November 2021

electrics/ batteries/ charging

Never ending oddness of Batteries, charging and modern vehicle electrics!
A lot of thought lately re the hassles with the main battery and what feels like a conflict of interest with the liesure system!
Tradition is liesure battery tied to main battery via various methods and the myriad of " units" available to do this!
So I've been wondering about isolating the two batteries completely. 
Solar systems etc usually compliment the liesure charging etc. Via electronic systems sending charge to liesure battery via the main battery! 
However, modern vehicles with regenerative braking, smart alternators etc seem to conflict
I stated I recently upgraded my Sterling unit to one that looks after the liesure battery with solar panel backup, Inc regen brakes etc.
However, I'm really not convinced that it works with regen etc. My main battery still seems to loose volts over a few days even plugged into a portable 5 v solar panel sat on dash! 
So hours of homework and trawling the internet. I feel the need to to seperate main and liesure batteries completely.
The portable solar panel will then only need to supply main battery. 
I have 160amp  solar panel on roof and a 100 amp spare that I've not used. 
If the main battery only has the vehicle to deal with it should keep its charge better. OEM battery was 60 amp worked fine replaced with 80 amp within 3-4 days looses upto 1-4 v never levels at 12.5 which it need to do. 
As I've quick release clamps on the liesure battery I've tried disconnecting it which diesake a difference.
Over the weekend the main battery can drop from 12.6-7to 11.3 ! 
In a few months I will be retiring so the van won't get used for long periods! 
So:
Homework done I will be disconnecting the liesure from the main battery! Using the 5v solar charger directly connected to main battery to see if this makes any difference. 

Then remove the sterling unit. The 12v internal electrics are all thru the liesure battery anyway. I've mains hookup as well. 
Reconnect the liesure to the mppt ( I kept mine when I installed the sterling.) Must have known 😂
Try it out to make sure it does the job for both the main and liesure batteries.

Then purchase a more useful mppt unit.
Current looking at 

EPEVER MPPT 30A Solar Charge Controller Regulator 12v 24v Auto with LCD display Solar Charge Regulator Mppt 100V PV Negative Grounded Solar Controllervaround £70 for the kit.

It has some good write ups and has the capacity for me to add another solar panel if I want to.

Job 1
Disconnect liesure from main battery! 
See if the discharge alters!

No comments:

Post a Comment