Tuesday 7 June 2016

Fitting the rear window


So today I took the plunge and decided to fit the rear window in the van. I was a "panel beater" to those who have no idea, it was in the days when vehicles were repaired not panels replaced! in a nut shell! I cut my teeth on Rolls Royce, Jaguars and Rovers.
So although its been a while you don't forget the skills you just need to update yourself! The last window I put in was with a rubber and securing strip, I'm now confronted with special primers, adhesive assisters and tubes of black stuff !
So here's my account of the day

First was to remove the metal, I had bought a nibbler that attaches to a power drill, basic but should do the job. I have no need of the bulk head that came with the van so had a play on that till I understood how it worked.

So first was to drill four holes to accept the nibbler in each corner. and fit a glass suction handle for final removal




Next cut the hole! I decided to cut with ample gap to enable final cut around using the inner lip to guide the tool. Job done just needed to file a few places to even things up and smooth the cut edges.



Next was to gently hammer (rubber mallet) the inner and outer lips together. So I could install the beading which has to go over both edges. 




So once the trim is in place it was time to clean up everything and ready the rear window to be positioned in place. Once that was done time to play with the chemicals!
cleaned around the window with panel wipes and the van paintwork. There was no mention of this in the Dinitrol Pack but other videos showed this being done and keeping things clean has to be the priority.


First I offered up the window to the hatch and got my daughter to run a pencil line around the inside so I had and margin all around to stay in!
then it was paint the adhesive activator around the inside of the pencil line. The do the same around the hatch. Then paint the UV primer to the same and let it dry on both parts. The instructions say put the bonding agent on the window, but videos show it being applied to the van metal work.
My opinion is that it would be better on the van metal so that is what I did. It was not easy as the bonding agent is very thick and not easy with a hand pumped applicator! But I did it, not pretty but within the boundaries.
It is then just a case of offering up the window, you have time to re position it which I did a little. give it a good press down around the edges and attach some masking tape to stop any chance of it dropping a little.


After a couple of hours I removed the tape and gave it a clean. Some of the bonding agent was showing in the gaps so I carefully removed the excess and cleaned the paintwork. Its not full on privacy glass but gives a degree of privacy along with looking as cool as F !



No comments:

Post a Comment