Thursday 16 June 2016

Rear RIB seats arrived today!




So at 12 noon 16/06/16 there was a knock on the door and this was there! The RIB single seats at last and £2800.00 worth. Are they worth that much? yes if you value your passengers! 

They convert into two single beds or will slide together to make a double. The other bonus is that they are fully TUV passed and certificated! 

Interestingly there is no "certificated" way of securing them to the floor in the UK! But there again is plenty of information on the web. 

The focus is on the rear fixings which in a accident would usually take the stress of  impact so it makes sense to at least fit extra bracing to the rear at the very least. basic fitting is HT M10 bolts with 50mm square washers. I will make or get made a 5mm plate that will brace between the chassis members.

Another downside of a new vehicle is the amount of plastic underneath the floor! plus the nearside has the plastic fuel tank more or less right where I need to bolt the nearside seat in place!

I'm hoping that I can just drop it enough to work above it fingers crossed!

After unpacking you have to assemble the seat back and squab to the frame work, not too difficult but I found that the pretty chrome dome nut is unusable if you use the provided washers! only two of the washers fit the 8 chrome nuts! I will probably swap them out for locknuts and a washer if I can when I fit them properly.  The company must save millions but cutting the bolts so short well at least two threads shorter!


So there they are not bolted but in place! the seat squab flips over and the back rest drops down into its place. So you have a proper (albeit slightly high being only 5'8" tall)  travelling seat but when turned into a bed it has a mattress material and foam. You turn the front seat around to form the bottom of the bed and I need, but wife doesn't, I little more head room. Most conversions have an area behind the seat which has a foam cloth covered piece about 10" front to back as a fill in.

I will use this to box the battery below it one side and the Propex heater in the opposite one.

I now know that I will need to lift the floor 2" so that the rear seats will be level with the front ones when forming the bed.

They come covered with standard VW cloth which matches the front seats, but we have decided to get all four reupholstered as the grey is a bit boring to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment