Friday 10 June 2016

Running the Auxiliary Battery Lead


As expected this was going to be fun from the outset!


First I had to remove the seat and the seat frame, then loosen the rubber floor mat and have a hunt under it to see if there were any way I could run the positive feed of the battery. I found just to the right of the main cable routes (the hump at the back where the gear lever sits) pulled the grommet out carefully and I could see the metal heat shields around the gearbox etc.

Then I needed to be able to access the underneath, popped the bonnet and could see the heat shield at the back. I had to remove the plastic housing under the wheel arch, Wasn't to bad some torx screws and a couple of 8mm nuts and a sneaky push fitting just above a small hatch to the front of the wheel arch.


You have to slide part of the liner out once all of the torx screws are removed and the two 8mm bolts, It is just where the door meets the wheel arch. I found that opening the passenger door a little gave you room to maneuver just slide to the left as you pull gently out. There is a small hatch built into the wheel arch cover (you can see the hole left of picture) there is no need to remove it as I did.


Now the fun bit!
you can see where the positive battery wire goes out of the vehicle floor just. I made a slit in the grommet to allow the lead to go through. I then carefully pushed the wire through and down along the heat shield about a metre then looked under the wheel arch to see if I could see it!
Took a couple of attempts but in the end I could see the red wire from under the bonnet. It was just a case of running the wire safely to the battery compartment and fixing it with zip ties. there is a small gap at the back of the battery compartment that the lead can go through. I just pulled enough through so it will attach safely and left it unattached.(it will be a while before I run the full leads etc as I have not decided where to fit the leisure battery. It is the smallest lowest leisure battery but it is still to high to go under the seat without spacers etc so not sure at this point what or where to put things!



Putting things back together, making sure the battery lead is zipped tied to the other cables as I went, Seat base in place.



All the leisure battery cabling is stashed under the seat for the time being.


All done and seat back in place



Now this as to go back a bit fiddly sliding that part back on but no real problem just add a few torx screws to hold it in place whilst you do it.


And the reward!


A nice cold pint of Hob Goblin

No comments:

Post a Comment